Shelter Support Staff--Night and Weekend hours available! (Bellingham)
compensation: (see description) employment type: part-time non-profit organization
QR Code Link to This Post
If, after reading through the job description, you are interested in this position please respond to this ad with resumes and inquiries. Please include a brief description of past social service experience.
Department: Crisis Services (Drop-in Center, Lighthouse Mission)
Position: Night Shift Shelter Support Staff
Hours: 10pm-7am and/or Weekend day and evening hours!
Salary: $17.65/hour on a temporary contract
Position Description: The Shelter Support Staff helps maintain a safe and sanitary environment for the men and women accessing Crisis Services at the Lighthouse Mission. Shelter Support Staff may support Lighthouse Mission staff by responding to emergencies, offering emotional support and resource referrals to guests, coordinating care with other agencies and supporting volunteers as needed.
• Do rounds of the facility as needed, checking for doors being locked, health signs still being up, condition of bathrooms, etc.
• Will assist LMM staff and guests with de-escalation and crisis intervention when possible.
• Will coordinate with community partners for resources for guests.
• Be available and willing to help with basic supply requests (band aids, toilet paper, etc.).
• Available for basic Q&A: When are meals? What time is check-in? etc.
• Maintain a positive, pleasant, and professional attitude. Work with other staff to model transparent and supportive relationships, which will serve as a leadership example for shelter guests.
• Supporting staff, volunteers and guests in the regular cleaning/disinfecting of surfaces and general areas.
• Provide and facilitate an environment that relationally shares with guests the full range of resources available to assist them, as known and possible, in overcoming the conditions that cause homelessness.
• Defer consequence, discipline, restrictions, or trespass decisions to Lighthouse Mission Staff.
• Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
• Works alongside a team of Lighthouse Mission staff, volunteers and interns.
• Represents LMM and specifically the Crisis Services to other social service agencies.
• Have knowledge of and experience with issues of homelessness, poverty, addiction, domestic violence and recovery.
• Sensitivity to cultural diversity in all forms is required.
• Able to use judgment to make independent decisions.
• Ability to successfully pass pre-employment drug and criminal background screenings.
• High boundary setting and self-reflection skills preferred.
• Ability to establish and maintain rapport with program guests and volunteers.
• Ability to remain calm and calm others in an emergency and/or confrontational situations.
• Ability to interact effectively as a team member and independently with LMM staff and with a diverse client base. Effective interpersonal communication skills--both written and oral--for communication with co-workers, men and women staying as guests and outside agencies.
• Ability to use MS Word, Excel, Gmail, and Google Calendar.
Physical Demands and Environmental Conditions:
• Intermittent high stress environment
• Standing 40%; walking 40%; sitting 20%; ability to walk up and down stairs
• Medium to heavy lifting, up to 20+ lbs.
• Possible exposure to a variety of illnesses
• Both inside and outside activities regardless of weather
• Ability to rapidly deal with emergency situations
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers