Position Description: The Outreach Services Assistant (Part-Time) will attend weekly Outreach Department meetings and assist the Outreach Services Manager primarily in facilitating Street Connect outreach events Tuesday to Friday evenings and providing support for Shower Connect Services when needed.
Tuesday – Friday 4:30pm – 9:30pm
Monday’s – on call
• Work with leadership team to plan, prepare, and coordinate Street Connect and Shower Connect outreach events, where qualified guests and volunteers engage relationally with people experiencing homelessness on the streets or in camps around Bellingham.
• Oversee, encourage, and train volunteers and interns to do outreach throughout the community.
• Enforce structural and safety procedures for volunteers in order to maximize effectiveness as well as protecting both clients and volunteers from unsafe practices while on outreach.
• Model a relational sharing of the Gospel with vulnerable people and those experiencing homelessness.
• Maintain documentation regarding volunteer hours, outreach, and donations.
• Attend weekly Outreach Services Department meetings.
• Maintain a positive, pleasant, and professional Christian attitude. Work with other staff to model transparent and supportive Christian relationships, which will serve as a leadership example for shelter guests.
• Provide and facilitate an environment that relationally shares with guests the full range of resources available to assist them, particularly LMM programming (Men’s Ascent and Women’s Agape Home) in overcoming the conditions that cause homelessness.
• Comply with all standard operating procedures and emergency procedures appropriate to the site.
• Embrace and use LMM’s grace-based accountability philosophy.
• Any other job-related duties as assigned by supervisor.
• Works alongside the Lighthouse Mission staff team, volunteers and interns.
• Reports directly to the Outreach Services Manager
• Represents LMM to other social service agencies, churches and the community.
• A passion for serving Jesus and making the Gospel known through mercy ministry and discipleship. The successful candidate will have an active church/prayer life.
• Have knowledge of and preferably experience with issues of homelessness, poverty, addiction, domestic violence and recovery.
• Possesses a valid Driver’s License and able to drive large passenger vehicles.
• Able to use judgment to make independent decisions.
• Agreement with the Lighthouse Mission’s Statement of Faith.
• Sensitivity to cultural diversity in all forms is required.
• Ability to successfully pass pre-employment drug and criminal background screenings.
• High boundary setting and self-reflection skills.
• Basic motivational interviewing skills preferred.
• Ability to establish and maintain rapport with program guests and volunteers
• Ability to remain calm and calm others in an emergency and/or confrontational situations.
• Ability to interact effectively as a team member and independently with LMM staff and with a diverse client base. Effective interpersonal communication skills—both written and oral – for communication with co-workers, men and women staying as guests, and outside agencies.
• Ability to use Microsoft Word, Excel, Google Calendar, and Gmail.
Physical Demands and Environmental Conditions:
• Intermittent high stress environment
• Standing 30%; walking 40%; sitting 30%; ability to walk up and down stairs
• Medium to heavy lifting, up to 35 lbs.
• Possible exposure to a variety of illnesses
• Both inside and outside activities regardless of weather
• Ability to rapidly deal with emergency situations
As an outreach of Lighthouse Mission Ministries, successful applicants will show a desire to end spiritual, economic, physical and social poverties with an aim toward restored identities and recovered vocations for the purpose of healthy relationship with God, each other and the world. Must be committed to the Christian faith and comply with drug-free and tobacco-free policy. Those qualified to join our team can enjoy a rewarding work environment.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Lighthouse Mission Ministries is both an equal-opportunity employer and a faith-based religious organization. We conduct hiring without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, age, sex, marital status, parental status, membership in any labor organization, political ideology, or disability of an otherwise-qualified individual. The status of Lighthouse Mission Ministries as an equal-opportunity employer does not prevent the organization from hiring staff based on their religious beliefs so that all staff share the same religious commitment which is central to our mission.
Pursuant to the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Section 702 (42 U.S.C. 2000e I(a)), Lighthouse Mission Ministries has the right to, and does, hire only candidates who agree with the Lighthouse Mission Ministries Statement of Faith. http://www.thelighthousemission.org/
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers